Monday, August 27, 2007

The Trek




After being here for 2 months, I finally had the time to make the 12 hour round trip into Denali National Park. Yes, 12 hours. The park is heavily controlled and vehicles are limited to the national parks buses after 13 miles into the park. Our guests make a 8 hour round trip into the park but since I finally had the time, I went all out. Unfortunately, since I was locked into a specific day, weather couldn't be a concern and as you can guess it didn't cooperate. The day was overcast and rainy but I started out about 6 am to walk over to the Wilderness Access Center, the departure point for all trips into the park. There are a couple different transportation options. Our guests take the Tundra Wilderness Tour which includes some snacks and full narration. There are some other shorter tours available but they do not offer the great animal and mountain viewing of the TWT and longer trips. I decided to take the VTS, Visitor Transportation System, their job is to transport hikers, trekkers and backpackers into the park and drop them off wherever they request. To get picked up all they need to do is wave down a bus that is going their way and if it has room it will stop for them. Once in the park, there are a few organized camp grounds but most people just take off into the wilderness. For my day and limited time, I planned to just stay in the bus until Wonder Lake and then come back. I had leftover pizza and some other snacks to get me through the day, my camera and rain coat.
The trip is mesmerizing, even in the rain. We did see a couple of bears, one was right next to the bus, some caribou and the continuously changing landscape. Unfortunately the mountain was shrouded in clouds the entire time but I do not regret the time nor money spent. Just one more reason to return next year.

Pic. 1 - Sunrise over Sugarloaf Mountain.
Pic. 2 - A Slightly damp Grizzly bear.
Pic. 3 - The infamous Polychrome Pass.
Pic. 4 - Teklanika River from park road.
Pic. 5 - This would be a great view of the mountain if..
Pic. 6 - Fisherman in Wonder Lake.
Pic. 7 - McKinley River through the mist.
Pic. 8 - duh!

No comments: